We all know that during certain months our electricity bills can take a big hit, especially for those of us living in Florida, that would be in our long summer that seems to cover most of the year.
So, we want to thank our partners, Florida Power and Light Company (FPL), for working with us to share these valuable resources with FPL customers to help manage energy usage and save our families some money, just in time for Energy Awareness Month.
Online Home Energy Survey
Of course, you can learn by trial and error. Adjust the temperature you set your air conditioning at, then wait for the next bill hoping it made a difference. Or you can take the Online Home Energy Survey. This survey will give you personalized energy-saving tips and recommendations. Plus, there may be programs or rebates available to you!
Also, FPL shares a tool that can help families understand their energy usage with the Energy Dashboard. On the Energy Dashboard, you’ll be able to understand your usage history to better understand your bill and gain more control over your use and you will be able to forecast your energy use to save for future higher months.
The Energy Dashboard is connected to your Online Home Energy Survey to give you more accurate results.
The Simple Way to Save: Smart Thermostats
What is a Smart Thermostat?
“Smart Homes” are increasing in popularity, with options like controlling your security camera or lights from the internet. This same technology has now been applied to thermostats. Smart Thermostats have become one of the leading smart home applications and some even work with Alexa Voice Service that can be controlled by voice.
Smart Thermostat benefits:
• Energy savings. On average, smart thermostat users save about $50 per year. If you live in an area that uses heating, you can save even more.
• Convenience. Controlling your home’s A/C from your smart phone makes it easy to come home to comfort. Been out at the beach all day and want to make sure your house is extra cool? Set the temperature low before you arrive, and then schedule it back to your normal temperature an hour later.
• Peace of mind. As a mom, it’s great to know you can check on your A/C while you are away or if you are traveling as a family so you know what is going on in your home. This is also a benefit for customers who have more than one home.
Currently, there is a new smart thermostat and we love the features. The ecobee4 thermostat has Amazon’s voice-assistant Alexa built in, this means that users can ask Alexa to change the thermostat settings.
Although, many smart thermostats are carefully designed for Do-It-Yourself, sometimes the wiring becomes overwhelming. What do we recommend? When in doubt please ask your A/C maintenance company to Do-It-For-You!
Win an ecobee3 thermostat!
One Sarasota Moms Blog follower, will win a new ecobee3 thermostat!
Here is how to enter: Complete the Online Energy Survey, then comment on this Facebook post that you completed. Feel free to share something you learned!
We will announce a winner on Facebook!
- You must be an FPL customer to enter.
- You must complete the Online Home Energy Survey.
- Comment on this Facebook post that you completed it!